What are prawns without cauliflower? After having this dish, we certainly can’t say. It’s just crazy how much flavour is packed into a dish so simple. And it looks so amazing! Check out the bright orange-red of the warm grilled prawns, and how they contrast so beautifully with the bed of white, creamy, smooth cauliflower puree, and the freshness of bright green spring onions… sheer poetry we say.
- 10 medium-large prawns
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup water
- Spring onions for garnish
- For cauliflower: 1 head medium cauliflower, boiled till fork tender (reserve boiling liquid)
- 2 tbsp light cream cheese
- 1 tbsp room temperature butter
- Peel and devein the prawns, leaving the tail on.
- Mix the cajun seasoning, chili powder, butter and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Taste the mixture and add pepper and more lemon juice accordingly. [Don't worry if it tastes too salty. It will be fine once the prawns are grilled and paired with the sweet cauliflower puree.]
- Marinate the prawns in the mixture.
- In the meantime, blend the cauliflower, cheese and butter till it forms a smooth puree.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and pulse until all are incorporated. [You may use a bit of the cauliflower boiling liquid if the mixture is too thick, but take care not to add too much liquid or over mix it as the puree will end up a watery mess.]
- Pass the puree through a strainer to remove any lumps and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan under medium high heat. Shake off excess marinade from the prawns and grill them. Depending on size, this can take anywhere from 2 minutes to 4, so keep and eye on them, turning them over half way.
- In a small saucepan, cook the leftover marinade over low heat, adding some water to loosen it up.
- Mix well and let simmer for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- To serve, dollop two generous tablespoons of the puree on the centre of each plate and spread it out to form a circle.
- Place the prawns in the centre, 5 each. Top with some sauce and spring onions for garnish.
Save more time by making the cauliflower puree a day ahead and storing it in an airtight container in the fridge. Then, merely reheat the amount you need just before serving. This recipe should yield enough puree for at least 4 people.